Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Reassurance

Things are creeping along ever so slowly in this FET cycle.  I have my baseline E2 blood test tomorrow and then start the E2V IM shots on Friday.  This will be my 5th transfer but only my second FET.  It's so odd to be in cycle but have it be so low key.

For me this is what my dear friend Amanda calls "the kitchen sink" transfer.  I'm throwing everything I've got at this.  I've been going to acupuncture (even though I hate it), I'm taking the thyroid meds, and I gave up alcohol and caffeine and have been eating clean (pretty strictly) since the beginning of February.  My motto for this cycle is basically if it can't hurt and there's a chance it could help - Go For It.  That being said I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on some of the old wives tales we hear related to transfer, implantation, etc.  I decided that with the "kitchen sink" transfer maybe I'd do some research into some of these.  I think the most common one we've all heard is the pineapple core after transfer.  I know "they" say it's supposed to help with implantation but I never knew why.  Turns out pineapple, especially the core, contains bromelain which is known to reduce inflammation in the body, including the uterus, and is also a mild blood thinner.  Both of which can be helpful with implantation.  So sticking to my motto this seems like an easy win for me.

Next on the list is Omega 3 Fish Oil.  This supplement is said to help the "quality" of blood in the uterus?  Then there's L Arginine and Zinc.  All I could find on these is that they are supposed to prevent miscarriage and promote implantation.  My prescription prenatal vitamin already contains 15 mg of zinc so I think I'm covered there.   I am curious on if anyone has taken the L Arginine though.

The last one is the Brazil Nuts.  This is another one I had heard about but didn't know the reasoning behind.  Come to find out Brazil Nuts are a good source of Selenium which, once again, prevents miscarriages and promotes implantation.

I'm not naive enough to think that any of these things is the "missing link" to why I've yet to become pregnant and stay pregnant.  But I am curious on what, if any, of these you girls tried and your thoughts and feelings on them.

On a side note I got a very interesting call yesterday that left me with mixed emotions.  It was from CCRM.  You guys know that if this transfer doesn't work our back up plan is CCRM.  We've already sent all our records over and had a phone consult with Dr. Schoolcraft.  I've kept them up-to-date with what's happened the last 5 months (hysteroscopy, Lupron Depot injections, FET scheduled for March).  But I haven't had any communication with them since probably late November.  I got a call yesterday from a Denver phone number and when I answered the phone a wonderful nurse by the name of Katherine was on the other line (any CCRM girls know her?!).  She simply stated they were reaching out because they had it in my file that I was getting ready for my FET and they wanted to wish us luck and see if we had any questions they could help with.  She told me that she hopes not to hear from me but that they are there if we need them.  I was pretty impressed and the call definitely made me feel like more than just a number to them.  And while it felt very reassuring to know that we have a great plan in place and are ready to move forward right away if need be, it also made me second guess my certainty about the potential success of this upcoming cycle.  I've been working so hard at being positive and truly believing that this is going to work.  I'm not sure how much I really believe in the power of positive thinking, but once again, it can't hurt.  And receiving that very nice phone call had me questioning if that was God's way of preparing me for another failure.  Obviously I'm probably reading WAY too far into things and should just stick with the initial feelings of reassurance from the phone call.  But you girls know better than anyone what a cluster f*ck your mind becomes with all the hormones, emotions, hope, and fears.

So that's where I'm at.  I feel like this post was a jumbled up mess but since that's kind of how I'm feeling I guess it's fitting.

8 comments:

  1. I never did the pineapple core but I did take L-Arginine, zinc, omega 3, and whole other host of supplements that were recommended by a friend who go her list from a friend who did IVF a at CCRM. I can try to find the list if you want it. 😃 Sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers for this cycle!,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh I would love to see that if you can find it but don't put yourself out! I am picking up the L-Arginine, Zinco and Omega 3 today. Thanks for the input!

      Delete
  2. I did the pineapple core, but I don't think that's a reason to skip. : ) I'd do it again. It's an easy one. I know Suzanne ate a ton of Brazil nuts… I think it was something to do with increasing her lining… you'd have to ask her about that one. I'm a fan of the kitchen sink plan. Go big or go home! Don't let the CCRM call get into your head… it should comfort you that they're there if you need them, but it has no bearing on what's ahead. I'm excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just try be positive. My mindset was a huge hurdle but it's much easier to think positively and not focus on the negatives.
    On my successful cycle - transfer #7, I started taking progesterone the night before the transfer, ate pineapple core for 5 days afterwards, was on my prenatal vitamin, CoQ10, fish oil, vitamin D, low dose aspirin, and Prednisone (low dose steriod). I also had a Pregnyl injection on day 2 and day 4 after the transfer and acupuncture after the transfer. It sounds like a lot but I was like you and wanted to try everything as long as it wasn't detrimental and now I'm 27 weeks pregnant with a healthy, happy, baby boy. I don't know if any of it helped but the progesterone the night before and steroid were new to me and it finally worked and is sticking around. It may not work for you but whatever you choose I hope you remember to think positively and pray. After being told all of our previously transferred blasts were perfect the last 6 tries, and then when we got there we had one average "ok" blast left to transfer, I felt a bit let down at first but also hopeful because it was something we've never tried before either and he was obviously a survivor so I am extremely grateful and blessed to be where we are right now and I hope that your miracle is on his/her way to you right now too. All the very best of luck!
    Candy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My "Kitchen Sink" Transfer protocol was a bit specific. I started Labetalol for my high blood pressure, and because of this, I took a baby aspirin as it has been shown to decrease the risk of pre-eclampsia. We decreased my estrogen as my lining had been as thick as 12 mm on CD10 (12 days prior to transfer and prior to increasing my estrogen which would only created more proliferation) and my lining 6 days prior to transfer was 9.4 mm. I used laminaria on CD9 to help make my cervix more 'flexible' if you will to make the transfer procedure easier. I did eat pineapple on that transfer only. I usually love pineapple, but I kept forgetting it during my prior transfers. We happened to have some pineapple leftover from a stir fry that I ate that night. Good luck, so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a plan if it doesn't work always made the blow less difficult for me. Maybe that's what the call from CCRM was for you. Even though, I'm still hoping with everything that this kitchen sink cycle does the trick. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the pineapple core for all my transfers -- like you said, if it doesn't hurt, then why not. and its cheap and healthy. i actually put mine into a fruit/yogurt smoothie for the 4 days since its kind of tough to chew since its the core.
    I did acupuncture for 2 of my 3 transfers -- the first two transfers i did the acupuncture, and they were unsuccessful. the third transfer i figured out that having to schedule it into my life was causing me more stress, so i skipped it and i got pregnant that cycle. so go figure! LOL!

    ReplyDelete